Thursday, December 18, 2014

Short Story Saturday Special Edition: My True Love Gave to Me, Your Temporary Santa


Welcome to Short Story Saturday, Special Edition! Normally each week, I talk about a different story from the collection I'm working my way through and offer up some thoughts. However, with it being the holiday season, I'm going to do a mini-review for these 12 days leading up to Christmas! I'm currently reading My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories.

Story: Your Temporary Santa
Author: David Levithan
Summary: Connor's boyfriend isn't wild about the idea of dressing up as Santa for the sake of Connor's youngest sister - he's Jewish, after all, and does Connor think he's fat? - but as he dons the red suit on Christmas Eve, it becomes clear that this whole family needs something to believe in.
Thoughts: This is the most realistic of the stories in this anthology so far. Not in that I think a whole lot of Jewish boyfriends are necessarily dressing up as Santa to make six year olds happy, but in that Connor's family's situation is realistic. These people have been rubbed raw, their world shaken, and each one of them is coping in different ways. This story was tender and while it hurt a little, I loved how completely honest it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment