Saturday, December 20, 2014

Short Story Saturday Extended Edition: My True Love Gave to Me, What the Hell Have You Done, Sophie Roth?


Welcome to Short Story Saturday, Special Edition! Normally each week, I talk about a different story from the collection I'm working my way through and offer up some thoughts. However, with it being the holiday season, I'm going to do a mini-review for these 12 days leading up to Christmas! I'm currently reading My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories.

Story: What the Hell Have You Done, Sophie Roth?
Author: Gayle Forman
Summary: Sophie has been regretting coming to a rural college pretty much since the moment she arrived, yet when she meets Russell at a Christmas caroling event on the last night of Hanukkah, she starts to see that maybe this place and people are exactly what she needs after all.
Thoughts: I absolutely adored this story in its somber moments, in how it honors the fact that rural colleges can sometimes feel like another planet and that I wasn't the only person who can be overwhelmed by moments when I put my foot in my mouth or think "What the hell am I doing?" The plot is simple, the characters are complex, and I wish I could give this story a hug. Well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment