Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Short Story Saturday Special Edition: My True Love Gave to Me, Star of Bethlehem


Welcome to Short Story Saturday, Special Edition! Normally each week, I talk about a different story from the collection I'm working my way through and offer up some thoughts. However, with it being the holiday season, I'm going to do a mini-review for these 12 days leading up to Christmas! I'm currently reading My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories.

Story: Star of Bethlehem
Author: Ally Carter
Summary: Lydia, eager to escape her life for a while, trades tickets with Icelandic girl Hulda at the airport and ends up spending Christmas pretending to be her with Hulda's boyfriend in the small town of Bethlehem, Oklahoma.
Thoughts: Oh my stars did I love this one! While the ending was a smidge rushed in my opinion, this story does so much right. The holidays are a difficult time of year for a lot of people, and I love how Carter shows this but also leaves readers with hope, with family, with love, and with the possibility that in time, we can heal. Adored this, truly and completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment