Monday, December 15, 2014

Short Story Saturday Special Edition: My True Love Gave to Me, Angels in the Snow


Welcome to Short Story Saturday, Special Edition! Normally each week, I talk about a different story from the collection I'm working my way through and offer up some thoughts. However, with it being the holiday season, I'm going to do a mini-review for these 12 days leading up to Christmas! I'm currently reading My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories.

Story: Angels in the Snow
Author: Matt de la Pena
Summary: Shy is dirt poor, without food, cat/apartment-sitting for his boss, and alone on Christmas in New York City, missing his family and wanting to drop out of NYU so he can reunite with them and return to his old life in California. Then Hayley knocks on the door.
Thoughts: This is not my first time reading de la Pena's work - he's popped up in quite a few of the short story anthologies I've read in recent years. His style is something I'm growing fond of, a great combination of grit, honesty, and sweetness. The build up in this story was slow and tender, and Shy is perfectly named. This ending, full of hope and the possibility of something, made me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment