Sunday, December 21, 2014

Short Story Saturday Special Edition: My True Love Gave to Me, Beer Buckets and Baby Jesus


Welcome to Short Story Saturday, Special Edition! Normally each week, I talk about a different story from the collection I'm working my way through and offer up some thoughts. However, with it being the holiday season, I'm going to do a mini-review for these 12 days leading up to Christmas! I'm currently reading My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories.

Story: Beer Buckets and Baby Jesus
Author: Myra McEntire
Summary: Vaughn - a guy with a reputation for his love of pranks gone awry - is sentenced to community service at the local Methodist church when he accidentally burns down their storage right before the annual holiday pageant and spends time with Gracie, the minister's daughter and his exact opposite.
Thoughts: I thoroughly enjoyed this story of hijinks and mishaps, of second chances and getting the opportunity to make a fresh start, of people who believe in each other more than they believe in themselves. Vaughn really isn't a bad guy, and Gracie isn't a saint (though she is very sweet). The two balance each other out really well and I thought this was simply adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment