Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Wednesday Words: Boy Crazy

Someone I work with recently found my YouTube channel, which led to this individual finding this blog. And while they thought it was pretty cool that I do book reviews as a hobby (not many people I work with actually know about my own writing aspirations), constructive criticism came in one remark: Why so many girl books?

Now I know many may have the gut reaction of 'hey! There are no girl books and boy books! They're for everyone!' but still, I got to thinking. I mean, I do have a tendency to read books with a romantic bent typically targeted at girls, but were my selections really so unbalanced between men and women writers?

Turns out, YES. Since starting this blog, I've posted on books by 39 women writers. I've only posted on books by eight different men. Yeah, that's right. EIGHT.

Not exactly a shining example of equality. Now granted, the blog is a hobby. I write reviews and ramblings on the books that I read for fun or that publishers are kind enough to send me (which doesn't happen very often - yet?!). So when I get time, I like to get swept up in a dash of love because I'm a hopeless romantic.

However, I'm constantly the one going on and on about how necessary it is for readers to challenge themselves, to think outside the box and try new things. And while reading books written by men is hardly something new to me, I do want to make a more conscious effort to branch out from my favorite genre of contemporary and realistic fiction. Take that as my blog new year's resolution.

But what about you guys. Do you guys tend to stick to one genre, or even gender, when it comes to your book picks? Let me know - Comments welcome, and, as always, happy reading!

8 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY know what you mean - I'm exactly the same way! I think female writers are just more what we gravitate towards because most of the time they use a female voice for the main character. It's usually easier for me to identify with a female MC so that's what I end up reading! I also think the genres that we're reading (like contemporary romance or paranormal romance or anything romance) are just more commonly written by women - Not to sound sterotypical, but I think it's true, no? Also it seems like a LOT of YA fiction writers that are gaining notoriety as of late are predominantly female as well. I find myself having a hard time picking up a novel by a male writer that I'm actually interested in its content!
    Good luck with your goals :) Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have a good point - maybe it's the narrator I'm drawn to rather than the gender of the author. Obviously since once upon a time I was a teenage girl, I'm more likely to pick up a book with female narrator or protagonist. I'm not saying that's always the case, but it happens a lot. Certainly food for thought and thanks for the comments!

      Delete
  2. Love this post. I've actually been trying to read out of my safe zone by acquiring more Adult Fiction. Enjoying a book means that I have to be sympathetic to the characters and I find - and I'm not generalizing, or anything - that the books written my male authors (that I've read so far) tend to be emotionless somewhat.

    I think I can only name a few authors whose characters didn't leave me cold: Mike Mullin, Sean Beaudoin, Michael Grant. Always on the hunt to improve that list, nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read far less adult fiction than I used to, and that actually worries me. I was an English major, so I used to devour it and I really did love it, but now when I do, the gears in my brain feel like they now have to work harder than they may have before. I'm hoping to transition back into it with good crossover titles. Great thoughts and thanks for the comments!

      Delete
  3. Well, for my blog, I read mostly women authors. But when it comes to Adult fiction and my other reading interests (philosophy, art) I tend to read mostly men. So in my general reading life, I am really balanced. But when it comes to the books that I review and the genre I review and talk about in my blog (yes, they are mostly YA & New Adult women authors).

    In the end of the day, it's not a conscious thing, though. I never think of the person's gender as a writer and like go for that. I think of them writing about the human condition because they are human. If that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your point about most of the nonfiction I read generally being written by men - that's an interesting point. But at the end of the day, I'm like you. Picking books by the gender of the author was never a conscious choice I was making, just something I realized was happening. Thanks for the great comments!

      Delete
  4. I purposely switch genres every few books to balance my reading. In 2012, I read books about academic advice, science fiction, children's and adults' classics, mystery, contemporary fiction, nonfiction, and biographies. I even read one Western. Being intentional about having variety has been a fun adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see the sense in that - it's incredibly logical - but I feel like more often than not I just go with whatever I'm in the mood for (which accounts for why I'm usually reading at least two books at the same time). Like lately, my brain has just been craving historical fiction, so that's what will be showing up for reviews for a while. I need to be more intentional, though. Lately my quest has been to read more "classics" no matter the gender of the author. I feel so guilty that I have an English degree and there are so many great books/authors I've never read yet!

      Delete