Sunday, December 16, 2012

A Reading Wonderland: Let it Snow

Let it Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle
Speak, 2008

With the holiday season upon us, some people are much more into the spirit than others. Some people can't get enough, others can't wait for it all to be over.

Whatever your leanings may be, if you are a fan of YA Let it Snow is still a treat, especially at this time of year. Powerhouse authors Maureen Johnson, John Green, and Lauren Myracle join forces to create a world and characters who lives are all altered by a freak blizzard on Christmas Eve. The three tales are each distinct in voice and style, but still manage to be woven together into a delightful holiday treat.

Maureen Johnson kicks things off with a girl named Jubilee ("no I am not a stripper") who is sent to her grandparents' house at the last minute for the holidays, only for her train to get stuck in the storm. She ventures out into the frosty night towards the Waffle House and ends up getting to know a charming stranger. John Green picks up next, chronicling the treacherous journey across town towards the same Waffle House. Tobin was told there would be cheerleaders awaiting them, but the last thing he expected to find that night was love with an old friend. And finally Lauren Myracle wraps things up with the tale of Addie, a girl who has a tendency to think the world revolves around her and as a result she's lost the boy she loves, but there's nothing quite like Christmastime and a teacup piglet to help her grow and change.

I was so smitten with this book that I had originally borrowed it from my library, but then went out and purchased a copy for myself before I was even done with the first story. It's a seasonal sampler from some of my favorite authors, and I almost wish there could be a sequel picking up on New Year's Eve or something. The characters grow on you quickly, every story has a strong arc, and I alternated between laughing out loud and feeling a pull at my heartstrings.

Let it Snow is a great new addition to my personal library, and I look forward to reading it in the years to come, whether or not the weather outside is frightful.

Comments welcome, and, as always, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment