Saturday, October 11, 2014

Short Story Saturday: Kiss Me Deadly, The Spy Who Never Grew Up

Welcome to Short Story Saturday! Each week, I'll talk about a different story from the collection I'm working my way through and offer up some thoughts. I'm currently reading Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love.

Story: The Spy Who Never Grew Up
Author: Sarah Rees Brennan
Summary: In need of a spy with special talents, Her Majesty recruits none other than Peter Pan who still refuses to grow up and requires an unusual form of payment for his services.
Thoughts: Confession: I've never read the original story Peter Pan. Sure I've seen the Disney version. I've even visited the statue honoring the character in Hyde Park in London! Yet despite this gross misstep which needs to be remedied, I'm a sucker for retellings of this tale, and Brennan did not disappoint. Peter is as immature as ever, yet in some ways manages to be wise and open-minded (perhaps because children often are in ways that adults unfortunately are not). The tension between him and Ashley was so fun and I really enjoyed this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment