Saturday, March 1, 2014

Short Story Saturday: Foretold, Burned Bright

Welcome to Short Story Saturday! Each week, I'll talk about a different story from the collection I'm working my way through and offer up some thoughts. I'm currently reading Foretold: 14 Stories of Prophecy and Prediction.

Story: Burned Bright
Author: Diana Peterfreund
Summary: Bright Child - the daughter of a prophet - and Sam - raised to be a follower of the Child's beliefs - share their experiences at what they've been told is the End of Days.
Thoughts: I'm a huge fan of Diana Peterfreund's writing, having loved her novel For Darkness Shows the Stars. She's very good at climbing inside the mind of someone I don't identify with at all and getting me to understand that point of view. That is this story's strength. I can see why Sam and Bright each believe what they do and their struggles about their current situation. While I'm not the hugest fan of religious cult aspect, it's certainly a story that made me think, which is just what good stories are meant to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment