Saturday, February 14, 2015

Short Story Saturday: Defy the Dark, Night Swimming

Welcome to Short Story Saturday! Each week, I'll talk about a different story from the collection I'm working my way through and offer up some thoughts. I'm currently reading Defy the Dark.

Story: Night Swimming
Author: Beth Revis
Summary: While there's technically no such thing as night on spaceship Godspeed, one passenger recalls the truths and feelings he confronts during the hours that are supposed to be designated for sleeping, including the idea that he may not be crazy.
Thoughts: Though I have not read Revis's Across the Universe trilogy, I am familiar enough with it to know that this story takes place within that universe. In some respects, I felt like this put me at a slight disadvantage - I probably would have connected with this story more had I read those books - however it's not necessary to have read the trilogy to understand what's going on here. Secrets and suspense drive this short story, and fans of Revis's series will no doubt like this extra scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment