Saturday, February 28, 2015

Short Story Saturday: Defy the Dark, Almost Normal

Welcome to Short Story Saturday! Each week, I'll talk about a different story from the collection I'm working my way through and offer up some thoughts. I'm currently reading Defy the Dark.

Story: Almost Normal
Author: Carrie Ryan
Summary: With the walking dead due to arrive to town in a few days, Connor and his friends make their way to a nearby amusement park in a last effort to forget about the end of the world as they know it.
Thoughts: Though I've never read Ryan's Forest of Hands and Teeth series, I've come across her writings in various other short story anthologies and familiar enough with her novels to know that zombies are sort of her thing. Which is great, but they're not really mine. Despite that, I was struck by how realistic I found this story to be. I could genuinely see (and to a degree, understand) how many people would seek solace in one last "normal" day before their lives crumble, and how something so innocent can turn terrible so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment