Saturday, June 7, 2014

Short Story Saturday: Starry-Eyed, Tessitura

Welcome to Short Story Saturday! Each week, I'll talk about a different story from the collection I'm working my way through and offer up some thoughts. I'm currently reading Starry-Eyed: 16 Stories that Steal the Spotlight.

Story: Tessitura
Author: Maryrose Wood
Summary: Part of why Fiona sings is to make her father happy, but it's only when a famous soprano enters her life that she learns to really make herself heard.
Thoughts: This story was a lot of setup with a very abrupt ending. Readers get a lot of backstory about Fiona's life at home, her situation at school, her growing relationship with her vocal coach and her distant relationship with her father, but then it comes to a sudden halt. One thing I did really like about this story was the world building - I had a very clear sense of the Irish American community Fiona lives in in NYC - but I would have liked more closure.

No comments:

Post a Comment