Sunday, March 9, 2014

Back Again: Spilt Second

Split Second by Kasie West (Pivot Point #2)
Harper Teen, 2014

*Since this is a second book in a series, there will be some spoilers about book one - You have been warned!*

Kasie West brings readers back into a world where some people have exceptional powers in the follow up to her debut novel, Pivot Point. Picking up a few weeks after the first book left off, Split Second again has readers keeping track of two paths of events, only this time they're not both Addie's - instead, we have the lives of both Addie and her best friend Laila. Addie is distraught and her life having gone to hell she can't imagine what would have made her pick this life after her Search and while visiting her father in the Norm world for Christmas she runs into the achingly familiar Trevor. Meanwhile, Laila is working to enhance her ability as an Eraser to restore Addie's memories, but the price is high and the only person who can help her doesn't seem to want anything to do with her.

Now, I loved Pivot Point when I was lucky enough to win an ARC of it way back when. I gushed about it, constantly recommend it, and even named it one of my favorite series books of the year. Therefore I had really high expectations for Split Second, and I will say that this installment of the story was solid. Addie and Trevor's story broke my heart all over again, Laila's perspective and battles of stubbornness and swooning with Connor were a welcome addition, and I liked the mixed feelings all of these people have about what their abilities mean to them.

I must also admit that the plot of this story didn't quite grab me as much as the first book. Almost nothing is said about the murder mystery that was so central before, instead favoring a look at the lengths the Compound will go to to keep their secrets. There were still questions I wanted answered, and while it was really interesting to see Laila's family life, I found myself missing that element of Addie's story which was more focused on her romance.

All in all did I like this book? Yes. I'm very glad that my library had it and that I was able to get my hands on it. If you liked Pivot Point, then Split Second is definitely worth picking up and reading when you have the time.

Comments welcome, and, as always, happy reading!

Kasie West's Website
Kasie West on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment