Saturday, January 3, 2015

Short Story Saturday: Defy the Dark, Nature

Welcome to Short Story Saturday! Each week, I'll talk about a different story from the collection I'm working my way through and offer up some thoughts. I'm currently reading Defy the Dark.

Story: Nature
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Summary: In a future society where dwindling birth rates left the human race in jeopardy, Kylie lives in a community where your future is determined by your body measurements, and despite her dreams of college and knowledge, her wide hips have put her in the Nature class where her primary responsibility is having babies to repopulate the planet.
Thoughts: While it took me a while to get into this story - you have to get into it a bit before the science/class structure is made clear - once that was understood, I was hooked! Kylie and Jeremy are both interesting and I loved the delicate dance of their awkward interactions. This is one of those short stories that I wish kept going.

No comments:

Post a Comment