Saturday, January 17, 2015

Short Story Saturday: Defy the Dark, Ghost Town

Welcome to Short Story Saturday! Each week, I'll talk about a different story from the collection I'm working my way through and offer up some thoughts. I'm currently reading Defy the Dark.

Story: Ghost Town
Author: Malinda Lo
Summary: McKenzie takes Ty - a California native -  on her first ghost hunt in their small town of Pinnacle, Colorado, but both of the girls get unexpected surprises when they investigate the long abandoned boarding house.
Thoughts: I enjoyed this story in how it is a great example of people being awful to each other can be so much darker than hauntings or the supernatural. My only criticism is that the story is essentially told backwards - I'm more of a chronological-order person myself, and I think I would have had a clearer understanding of the plot points. However, I respect Lo's choice and can totally see why she structured it this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment