Saturday, May 10, 2014

Short Story Saturday: Foretold, The Killing Garden

Welcome to Short Story Saturday! Each week, I'll talk about a different story from the collection I'm working my way through and offer up some thoughts. I'm currently reading Foretold: 14 Stories of Prophecy and Prediction.

Story: The Killing Garden
Author: Carrie Ryan
Summary: Tanci has trained her entire life to take her father's place as executioner for the Emperor once she is old enough, but nothing could have prepared her for the price she would have to pay.
Thoughts: Aw, this story. So sad and heartbreaking and dark and twisted, but strangely hopeful? I've never read anything by Carrie Ryan before, but this was a nice introduction. While it took me a bit to wrap my head around the world and the rules of Court, once I got there I clung to hope that Tanci would be able to find a way out of this choice she'd made just as she must find a way out of the garden maze. I'll be thinking about this one for a while (in a good way).

No comments:

Post a Comment