Saturday, April 12, 2014

Short Story Saturday: Foretold, The Mind is a Powerful Thing

Welcome to Short Story Saturday! Each week, I'll talk about a different story from the collection I'm working my way through and offer up some thoughts. I'm currently reading Foretold: 14 Stories of Prophecy and Prediction.

Story: The Mind is a Powerful Thing
Author: Matt de la Pena
Summary: When Joanna gets an ominous fortune cookie on her sixteenth birthday that "The Hour Has Finally Arrived," she braces herself for the worst.
Thoughts: One of the reasons I enjoy short story anthologies so much is that they are a fast way to get to know authors whose work I've never read before, like a sample platter. This is my first time reading anything by Matt de la Pena and I really enjoyed this fast paced story. While I guessed early on where it was going, it didn't end up exactly like I expected and it actually leaves a lot open to the reader. Hopefully I'll be able to check out one of his many novels sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment