Saturday, April 19, 2014

Short Story Saturday: Foretold, The Chosen One

Welcome to Short Story Saturday! Each week, I'll talk about a different story from the collection I'm working my way through and offer up some thoughts. I'm currently reading Foretold: 14 Stories of Prophecy and Prediction.

Story: The Chosen One
Author: Saundra Mitchell
Summary: Corvina, the bastard daughter of the king, loves her half-sister Princess Lucia more than anyone in the world, so when Lucia falls ill, Corvina leaves the castle for the first time seeking the Fabled Cup to restore her.
Thoughts: When I first thumbed through this story, I was a bit apprehensive due to it's length - 40 pages? But as it turns out, I quickly fell into this fantasy and would have loved it to be longer! Corvina before, during, and after her quest takes readers through a wide range of emotions. While I've read two of Mitchell's historical novels which contain fantastical elements, this was much more like a traditional fantasy with a heroine who I was rooting for harder than ever because she's the only one who didn't know what she was capable of. Loved this story!

No comments:

Post a Comment