Thursday, February 20, 2014

TBR Throw Back Thursday: 84, Charing Cross Road


TBR Throw Back Thursday is a weekly post hosted by me that looks at my TBR pile and spotlights books that have already come out - some recently, some centuries ago - that I keep meaning to read (or reread).

This week, I'm throwing it back to: 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff
Publication: 1970
From Goodreads:
It all began with a letter inquiring about second-hand books, written by Helene Hanff in New York, and posted to a bookshop at 84, Charing Cross Road in London. As Helene's sarcastic and witty letters are responded to by the stodgy and proper Frank Doel of 84, Charing Cross Road, a relationship blossoms into a warm and charming long-distance friendship lasting many years.

I first heard about this book in my adult literature class in grad school. Each of us had to booktalk a piece of nonfiction and this one immediately grabbed my attention. In some ways, the description reminds me of The Guernsey Litereary and Potato Peel Pie Society, a novel I absolutely adored, and I'm eager to get to this book sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment