Saturday, February 22, 2014

Short Story Saturday: Foretold, Gentlemen Send Phantoms

It has been a long time since I've read a short story collection, which is a shame because I actually really like them! So I'm bringing back a feature I used to do for a little while: Short Story Saturday. Each week, I'll talk about a different story in the collection and offer up some thoughts. I'm currently reading Foretold: 14 Stories of Prophecy and Prediction.

Story: Gentlemen Send Phantoms
Author: Laini Taylor
Summary: On St. Faith's Day, three girls perform an ancient and sacred rite in their small town to reveal the phantom of the men they will each marry, but by the end of the night, which one of them will see Matty, the young man they all like?
Thoughts: This is my first time reading anything by Laini Taylor and oh my stars, what's taken me so long? I absolutely adored this story! The mythology is quickly established, managing to be thoughtful, simple to understand, and nuanced enough to allow for growth. Pippen was a girl I was immediately drawn to and her delicate yet strong emotions were handled so well. With just enough twists and complications, I was afraid I'd be unhappy with the conclusion but the final twist left me awed and thrilled. Basically, I completely loved this slice of fantasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment