Saturday, April 5, 2014

Short Story Saturday: Foretold, Misery

Welcome to Short Story Saturday! Each week, I'll talk about a different story from the collection I'm working my way through and offer up some thoughts. I'm currently reading Foretold: 14 Stories of Prophecy and Prediction.

Story: Misery
Author: Heather Brewer
Summary: Most residents of the gray town of Misery are happy to get their annual Gift from the local pychic, but this year Alek is apprehensive and it turns out he may have good reason to be.
Thoughts: I had a much better reaction to this story than the previous one in the anthology. The pace clipped along, the world and conflict quickly established, and there was something immediately relatable about the protagonist. I liked how the ending was both definitive as well as open ended - it's a difficult thing to pull off, but Brewer did it well and I think I actually prefer this over some of her novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment