Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wednesday Words: First Day of School

The title of this post pretty much says it all this time: today is the first day of school in my district. Great timing, too, because it wasn't until last week that I started asking myself "What day is it?"

With most of the hours of my day now being reclaimed by students, teachers, reference questions, lesson teaching, lesson planning, ordering, covering, labeling, Tweeting, book talking, drama club directing, speech judging, chaperoning, and new this year Tumblr-ing (literally just got approval to start a Tumblr for our school library yesterday and I'm so excited!), that means life is about to drastically change from my summer patterns of going to bed 'whenever', sleeping in until 8, and sometimes devoting entire days to curling up with a book.

With only 24 hours in a day, so much to do, and sleep being necessary to function, what happens to my reading time? It's cut down, sure, but I'm going to do my best this year to make sure it's not eliminated. My goal is to read for at least 15 minutes every day. It's not much. I'm currently reading The Fellowship of the Ring for the first time and 15 minutes sometimes isn't even enough to read one chapter, but it's something. Me in the morning with my coffee and a book. It's a great way to start each day, plus by not saving it for the evening, I can still collapse as soon as I walk in the door after a long day if I need to.

So here's to recreational reading, and if you're still in school/working in schools, the assigned reading too! I'd love to know what fantastic titles you are all reading in and out of the classroom - tell me here, on Twitter, or on Goodreads! And now, it's off to work I go.

Comments welcome, and, as always, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment