Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Wednesday Words: Conference, Here I Come!

With the American Library Association's Annual Summer Conference kicking things off tomorrow in Chicago, I'm a little bit all over the place.

For starters, I am SO excited! I've been a member of the ALA and its YALSA branch for 2 years (Young Adult Library Services Association) and am really hoping to get more involved in committees and the organization as a whole. This is the first time I have ever been to any type of conference for anything and I'm thrilled for the chance to network and connect with other people in my field. I loved getting to do that in library school, so for 20,000 of us to be all in one convention center has the potential to be pretty darn epic. I'm staying with a few other book bloggers/librarians and one of them is also a newbie, so hopefully the veteran will be able to help us figure out how to make the most of these next four days.

However there are plenty of jitters that have been steadily growing in the last few days. Mostly because there are lots of questions that I am having trouble finding the answers to. Things like, how do I get there? Even though I just live in the suburbs, it turns out that McCormick Place isn't exactly the easiest place in the city to get to (oh Chicago, why did you build a HUGE convention center that isn't exactly near CTA busses or trains? You're killing me here). Then there's been the scheduling, trying to figure out what sessions to go to and where they are. The business cards I ordered online didn't arrive yet, which means  I just had to redesign and order more from a local store and pay more to get them made today. And then with author signings, can I bring my own books or should I buy there? How does that work?

And I should really start packing, but what to wear?? (Besides comfortable shoes - those are ready to go!) Ahhh!

I have no doubt that next Wednesday's post will be full of love for ALA, librarians, the field, the people, the places, the books (I'm hoping to get my hands on an ARC or two - there's only one I REALLY want but I'm going in open minded). It's going to be a blast. I just need to get there first.

Comments (and advice!) welcome, and as always, happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. Yayyyy I hope you have tons of fun!!!! I wish I knew more about ALA (and that I was going hahaha) but I have no idea how similar/different it is to BEA! Hopefully your vets will be able to assist :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I've ironed most things out, but it's still so crazy! I'm also supremely jealous that you got to go to BEA - everyone who goes to that always says it's an amazing time. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete