Sunday, June 2, 2013

Armchair BEA 2013 Day 6: Wrapping Up

graphic by Nina at Nina Reads
And here it is, the end of another online adventure with Armchair BEA.

Today's topic is a broad one in which the organizers basically said we can fill in the blanks, are there any genres that we haven't discussed in the past week that we think ought to have gotten some time. All in all, I think that a lot of genres and topics were touched on so in that light, I say it's been a success.

There are two areas that weren't given their own 'topic days' though that I always want to know more about but don't seem to get discussed too often (or just not in great detail). First off, what do other bloggers out there do about the genres they don't read? For example, in my Blog Policies section of this site, I state that I read mostly YA but generally not thrillers or horror. Do others out there push their boundaries in that regard, and if so, how?  Sure this is a hobby for most of us that's supposed to be fun, but does anyone else out there fear pigeon-holing themselves by not being open to all of it? Anyone who looks through my reviews archive can see that I have a definite 'type' when it comes to the books I read (or at least the ones I review), but I'm working hard to change that. For example, I've been in the world of YA for so long and I'd love to start reading more adult literary fiction, but I don't even know where to start sometimes.

So there's that.

Point number two that I think a lot of bloggers would appreciate is if people discussed how they go about getting ARCs/review copies. To veterans, this is common knowledge and they have connections, know who to email to get on mailing lists, go to conferences, etc. But how did you start? Or how can we help each other out? Sites like ARCycling are great, but how can we have more of that where we can help each other out, especially newbies. In this light, the 'exclusivity' feel of the book blogging community is felt the most. I've been doing this for a while now and in many ways I still feel like I'm on the outside waiting to learn the secret handshake or something.

Just a few thoughts, but again, overall I thought Armchair BEA went very well this year. It's always a fun week and it's one of the few times this blog gets a boost in exposure. If you like what you've seen here, please subscribe or follow me on Twitter @mfumarolo. And if you have an ARC of something fabulous, definitely let me know =)

Comments welcome, and, as always, happy reading!

6 comments:

  1. I think making connections with publishers / publicists would be a good topic. I really wanted to write more about mysteries and detective lit.

    Keep in touch!

    http://mwgerard.com/armchair-bea-wrap-up/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks so. And mysteries would have been a fun genre too - I don't read them straight out, I tend to read books that have a mystery sort of slid in to them from the side =) Thanks for commenting and keep in touch!

      Delete
  2. I use NetGalley and Edelweiss for ARCs, and those are open to anyone who signs up. Also, if there's an ARC I really want (and I accept very few these days), I'll look up their generic publicity department email on their website and write a request email. Companies seem to be very open to requests coming in that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used NetGalley before and I should have mentioned that in my post, but again I feel like those resources are the best kept secrets! And good tip on contacting publicity departments - I'll have to keep that in mind in the future. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I've always been a massive eclectic reader. My shelves are loaded with books that range the spectrum when it comes to fiction and nonfiction. If it interests me at all, I'll read it. Doesn't matter what category it falls into.

    When I review on my writing blog I will discuss any type of book because I am going at it from the slant of a writer. I have a new blog about dogs which will have a dog slant.

    I think it's great that you want to spread your wings. Find a book that interests you and go for it. You'll know pretty quick if that genre really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I review whatever I like, I've never wanted to pigeon hole myself by saying I only review this or that. Yes I do tend to stay away from some genres because I don't find them enjoyable but if a book catches my attention regardless I'll read it.

    I also use Netgalley and Edelweiss and have no problem requesting E-Books from Author whenever possible. I learned about Netgalley early on but Edelweiss I didn't join until much later. I think some people are put off with how you have to request. Netgalley is just click the button, Edelweiss wants information on why you want to receive the book. Great post!

    My BEA post for today.

    ReplyDelete