Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Wednesday Words: Genre Binges

As you'll see in my reviews in the next few weeks, I've been reading a lot of dark books lately. Part of that was due to Halloween and wanting to get in the spirit of the, well, spirits. But mostly it was the result of two series I love, Divergent and Legend, coming to an end. They're dystopian. They're gritty. They're in worlds I don't think I'd ever want to find myself in, thank you very much.

Put that on top of the fact that the film adaptation of Catching Fire is almost here and that is a lot of a very gruesome genre. I love the stories, but as fall turns to winter, I think I may have binged a little bit. Now I want books with warm fuzzies to go along with my hot chocolate or tea. I recently read Rainbow Rowell's Attachments to bring in the cute which was the best sort of remedy.

Dare I say it, I've even been mentally craving books meant for grown ups. It's shocking, I know. I have had an ARC of Elizabeth Gilbert's The Signature of All Things since ALA this summer that I'm dying to get into, and yesterday the copy of Chad Harbach's The Art of Fielding that I was lucky enough to win from LittleBrown (along with a baseball-style shirt that goes with the book and its main character - Go Westish Harpooners!) came in the mail and I can't wait to jump in.

So today I pose a question: do you ever binge on genres, and if so, what do you do if you find yourself overloaded? Also, what are you all reading? I don't care that my to-read shelf on Goodreads already has 165 things on it - I'm always eager for recommendations.

Comments welcome, and, as always, happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment