Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Wednesday Words: I am not a Blogger

A week ago today, I found myself in one of my favorite bookstores of all time, Anderson’s Bookshop in Naperville, IL, for the first stop of the Breathless Reads tour featuring Marie Lu (Legend), Beth Revis (Across the Universe), Jessica Spotswood (Born Wicked), and Andrea Cremer (Nightshade) . A fellow book lover of mine whom I met at my last Anderson’s outing, Erin, tweeted to me about it and as I waited for her to arrive and the event to get started, I got to talking with a few other women who have book blogs of their own.

Now these were Bloggers. These women are incredibly well read. They know their authors, series, and publication dates. They are enthusiastic and passionate about these books so much so that they buy extra copies for authors to sign so they can host a giveaway. They participate in many of the memes that exist out there, do interviews, and are incredibly well connected to each other. Many of them had driven hours and across state lines to be at that event (suddenly making my 45 minute commute seem less impressive).

I’m an imposter, a total poser, a wannabe compared to them. But I’m okay with that and allow me to explain why.

I am the first one to admit that I am the new kid on the blogging block. I’m still trying to figure out how all of this works, but I’m loving the process of trial and error in the meantime. I’m not in the position where I can be hosting giveaways of my own. Unfortunately due to my limited time right now (work, grad school, life, etc.), I’m not participating in memes. I consider it a lucky day when I do get to read the books I write about here for fun. And my posts tend to be less like reviews and me just throwing in my two cents. I like being a part of the conversation. In the last week alone since meeting these awesome Bloggers, my twitter activity has increased and I love getting to interact with others who love YA just as much as I do. I’ve also had more conversations with others I was already following when we realized we’re both reading the same book right now and it’s been so much fun, like a little virtual book club, all in 140 characters or less.

In short, Blogging or blogging, no matter what you do, is about more than just the books and the prizes and how many followers you have or comments you get. It’s about the community that forms and the interactions that take place. Growing up, before Harry Potter, reading made me different and nerdy and I saw that as a bad thing. But now thanks to these various avenues of social media, I’m a small part of a fantastic community. I may not be in the major leagues, I may just be another fan in the bleachers, but at least I’m here.

Comments welcome and as always, happy reading!

Check out the many fabulous people I’m talking about:
Erin Brambilla: Blog - Twitter
Jen (Dream Reads): Blog - Twitter
Jacinda: Blog - Twitter
Laci Crawford: Blog - Twitter
Lynn Spinks: Blog - Twitter
Liza Wiemer: Blog - Twitter

7 comments:

  1. Aww *book blog blushes* at being called fabulous!

    And I know where you are coming from. When I was younger and reading Harry Potter, I knew no one like me AT ALL. But now thanks to twitter, blogging and goodreads I have met SO many people like me and have had so much fun chats about books. It really is a lovely community and it's so much fun to geek out over books with fellow bookaholics that get it, you know?

    Well I think you are a fantastic book blogger. You have a genuine and honest love for books and your posts are always incredibly insightful. SO rock on, girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much! I'm so happy we finally live in a time where nerdy is chic and reading is the cool thing to do =) We're ALL rockstars!

      Delete
  2. And these kind words were sent to me from Liza:
    "Hi Monica, Wow, wow. You left me temporarily speechless. But let me just say that sometimes first impressions are dead on. When I met you at Anderson's I immediately felt your passion, your warmth, your sincerity, and of course, your love for YA. These are special and beautiful qualities. This thoughtful and so very kind post just confirms that impression. It was an honor to meet you & I so look forward to future events when we can all be together again! The YA Book Blogger/Author/Librarian/Teacher/Twitter community is a special one and it's so wonderful that you're a part of it. You're making your mark! And I'm with Jennifer, ROCK ON girlfriend! :-D
    -Liza"

    You are too kind! Seriously! I'm so happy to have met you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to have met you at Andersons! And anytime you're up for a YA event, definitely let me know. I will be there :). I love, love, love talking books and writing and blue hair extensions.

    It really is an awesome community of writers/readers/bloggers/etc. out there. Everyone I've met is so supportive of one another. It makes my heart all fuzzy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm convinced that colored hair (extensions) can make the world a better place =) Also, blogging.

      Delete
  4. AWWWW! Thanks for this!

    "In short, Blogging or blogging, no matter what you do, is about more than just the books and the prizes and how many followers you have or comments you get. It’s about the community that forms and the interactions that take place."-You are right! It actually is something I have to remind myself of weekly. It's hard not to get wrapped up in numbers and stuff.

    I <3 Twitter! It has brought me many friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean - it's hard not to be a little bummed when your number of page views might feel small, but that's why it's so important to remember there's a bigger picture. And Twitter is so fantastic!

      Delete