Sunday, October 2, 2011

Welcome to the Files

Welcome, readers young and old, wherever you are, to The Fuma Files. What exactly do I hope this website/blog to be and who am I? Allow me to explain and to introduce myself.

My name is Monica Fumarolo (known as Fuma to my friends and Miss Fuma to my students) and above all else, I am a life long lover of books and stories. Despite the fact that we are living in a highly digital age, I strongly believe that books, whether read in traditional print or on an e-reader, have an incredible power to build communities and connect people of all ages, from all walks of life, and even across time periods.

My more professional credentials are as follows: I received my B.A. in English with a minor in Secondary School Teaching from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I'm currently a student in U of I's Graduate School of Library and Information Science where I am three classes away from being done with my M.S. I am a certified teacher in the state of Illinois for grades 6 thru 12, and I currently work as a teaching assistant in a high school library in the Chicago suburbs. I love what I do - getting to work with books and students at such an interesting and often dynamic age in their lives is a dream come true.

It is my hope that this blog will become a place for me and others to voice their thoughts on the books they're reading and themes, issues, concerns about the world of books. I'll be starting off posting reviews of the books I'm reading, and then we will see where this goes. I'm extremely flexible about this project, and I'm always hoping to hear what others have to say. I know that other sites exist for reviews (I myself have a Goodreads account which I thoroughly enjoy and utilize) I wanted to have a place to expand on ideas and make connections, focus on broader pictures or barely noticeable details.

If this sounds like something you may be interested in, I hope you decide to stick around. Books have an amazing tendency to bring out sides of people we may not have otherwise known about ourselves and can lead to amazing discussions. May the talking begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment