Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Wednesday Words: Required Reading

For the past couple days, nearly a week, I've been in a reading slump. I finished a book and while there are plenty around and on my shelves from me to pick from, I didn't. Or was it couldn't? It's hard to say. I read the descriptions, but just nothing felt like what I was in the mood for.

Not that I knew what I was in the mood for. I knew I wanted something different that would make me think and challenge me, but not so difficult that I'd get annoyed.

It was actually a recent video by Lauren at 365 Days of Reading that made me very nostalgic for my college and grad school days. As an English major and a library school student, I was constantly reading required texts. Some fiction, some nonfiction, but more often than not, even if I didn't necessarily like them, they made me think about the book rather than having already wasted energy on trying to decide what to read.

Luckily, today the Universe gave me a little bit of assigned reading. The faculty book club at my school will be discussing Bill Bryson's memoir The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid next month, and my copy came in the mail today. Plus a bunch of the freshmen I work with either just started or are about to start Romeo & Juliet, which despite the fact that I used to live in fair Verona, I haven't read myself since I was 14. I'm kind of grateful that now I don't have to think anymore about what I'm going to read for the next week or so, only when.

Has this ever happened to any of you, or am I being exceptionally weird here? These are non-rhetorical questions, ladies and gents!

Comments welcome, and, as always, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment