Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Wednesday Words: Fall Rush

Fall is a particularly busy time of year for me and a lot of other people I know, though I feel like I'm saying that at practically any time of year. Maybe it just feels busier because it's a classic case of wishing I were doing other things instead of All The Things. Work is busy, there are tons of reading initiatives going on this month from Banned Books Week to Teen Read Week, and I have a great stack of books in my room that I can't wait to read, but there won't be time until I get through this weekend.

October is also a beautiful month as the world around me bursts into vibrant oranges and reds, and being inside feels positively criminal. I want to curl up with an afghan, a hot drink, a flannel shirt, and read a great story! Or better yet, write one!

SinceNovember is National Novel Writing Month for a lot of people, October might as well be National Novel Writing Prep Month. Outlines are being made, character names thought up, settings and random questions being researched all in the name of getting ready to pump out 50,000 words over the course of 30 days. Now I did NaNoWriMo for the first time last year and I was a winner. My 61,000 word manuscript consumed me, and in a lot of ways practically killed me. I stuck it in the metaphorical drawer once December came around and haven't looked at it again since. So this year, my November will instead be Get Back Into The Habit Of Doing Creative Writing Every Day Since I've Been Slacking Lately And Life Got A Little Bit Nuts There Month.

Oh, and much more reading. That too. And hopefully more Where's Your Bookmark? episodes will be coming your way as well.

Comments welcome, and, as always, happy reading.

1 comment:

  1. I love October. It's such a beautiful month. :D
    Last year was my first time doing NaNoWriMo, too. It was crazy and terrible but also really fun, so I'm getting ready to do it again this year.
    I hope your life will get a little less busy soon so you can relax and read!
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete