Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wednesday Words: Shout Out for Short Stories

This week's edition of Wednesday Words is going to be remarkably short because life got really busy on me and I didn't think of a topic in advance. Therefore, I just want to give a little shout out here to a type of book that I've been rediscovering lately and often gets overlooked: the short story collection.

Short stories are the literary equivalent of taking a test drive of a genre or author. In a much shorter word length, readers still get to experience a writing style, characters can still be built up, and strong feelings can be evoked. As the saying goes, bigger isn't always better. And as an aspiring writer, I've enjoyed toying around with writing my own short stories because I can't get lost in the fluff - there's just less room for it.

There are also a lot of great short story collections and anthologies for YA out there, too. I recently read the collection Up All Night and have checked out Corsets & Clockwork from my library which are all steampunk romances. Foretold, a collection of 14 stories exploring the realm of prophecy, came out yesterday, and if I'm not mistaken The Curiosities, a short story collection brought to you by the same authors of the Merry Sisters of Fate blog, is coming to bookstores very soon as well.

So if you've never thought about them before, I encourage you to give short stories a try. I recently have, and I haven't regretted it.

Comments welcome, and, as always, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment