Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Armchair BEA: Day 2 - Best of 2012

Welcome to the second day of Armchair BEA, an online event for those of us book bloggers unable to make the trip to the actual Book Expo America taking place in New York right now. Today's theme is Best of 2012, so let's get started!

Day 2: Best of 2012
Share some of your favorite books so far this year, and/or the books being promoted at BEA that you hope will end up among your favorites for the year!

As I said yesterday, my favorite book so far of 2012 is John Green's #1 New York Times best seller The Fault in Our Stars, but I've already written my thoughts on that in a blog post you can view here. So instead of talking more about that book (which I could honestly talk about forever - so good!), I'm going to instead express my total and complete excitement about Maggie Stiefvater's upcoming novel The Raven Boys.

The premise for The Raven Boys is an interesting twist on paranormal (as seen in her Wolves of Mercy Falls series) and more traditional elements of fantasy and a touch of magic (as beautifully illustrated in her most recent book The Scorpio Races). We will meet Blue, a girl who stands in a churchyard at night with her clairvoyant mother, a woman who can see the spirits of the people who will die in the upcoming year. Blue has never been able to See, until now, which can only mean one thing: either this boy is her true love, or she will be the one to kill him. Blue learns that the boys she sees is Ganesy, known as one of the Raven Boys due to the nearby elite school he attends, and soon she is wrapped up in a world she never thought she'd be a part of.

If that doesn't sound interesting to you, then I suggest you check out this book trailer made by Maggie herself (because she's just insanely talented and that's the way she rolls!):



Again, it looks awesome and that is one book that I'm particularly looking forward to in 2012. My only complaint is that it doesn't come out until September, but I have no doubt that it will be worth the wait.

So that's it from me for Day 2 of Armchair BEA! Happy reading and blogging, everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Uh huh, I am not that big of a fan of Maggie :P I've read the Shiver trilogy and well, I didn't like it THAT much. It was ok, tough :P :P :) I hope you'll get your book soon! :) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that her stuff is certainly not for everyone and I must admit that I haven't read the Shiver trilogy yet, but Scorpio Races blew me away.

      Thanks for your comments!

      -Monica

      Delete
  2. That book looks really interesting :) I love Ravens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I thought it looked different, and I can be picky when it comes to my fantasy picks.

      Thanks for your comments!

      -Monica

      Delete